When I became a first time puppy mom, I knew very little about the challenges that come with having a puppy. Every one shares the cute pictures but not the carpet potty stains. I’m here to share my advice so you don’t have to learn it the hard way.
Chewing and Potty training were most frustrating for me, so here are some tips:
(PS- click the underlined words if you want to be linked to more information)
Make sure there’s nothing on the floor or within the pup’s reach that you do not want chewed (RIP flip flop)
Give your pup a chew toy to distract them from chewing unwanted things, like your toes (it’s cute at first, then it’ll start to hurt)
Trying new kind of bones. So far so good . . #yorkiepuppy #puppy #cutestpuppies #adorablepets #dogs #chihuahua #yorkiesofinstagram #yorkie #tinypuppy #dogbreeds #animals #cuteanimals #pets #beautifuldogs #yorkielife #chorkie #dogoftheday #goodmorning #mansbestfriend #dogsofinstagram #sleepyhead #sleepingpuppy #yorkshire #smallestdogs #funnypets #dogpics #ilovemydog #dogsofinstagram #chewbone #dogbone
This was the most frustrating part for me and it took about 2 months for Arthur and Lola to get better at it
- First of all- BE PATIENT. I thought they will never learn
- My puppies peed at least every hour. Good news is, as they get older they can hold it longer
- If pad training a Yorkie -> keep them in one room where you usually stay and have pads close by. Pick them up and take them to the pad as soon as they start sniffing around the floor. Give them a treat every time. I usually so ‘NO’ when they start going on the carpet ( I said ‘NO’ a lot), then I pick them up and give them a treat after they finish potting on the pad.
- If potty training outside -> this is harder for small sized dogs since they have small bladders. Have them stay close to your exit and take them out at least every hour when they’re young. Give treat every time they potty outside.
- Most importantly, don’t stop the positive enforcement once they seem to get it! I have and sure enough they started peeing on the carpet again. I had to start all over again
I hope this was helpful little post. I will make a Youtube video for more tip
Meanwhile, here’s my puppies channel
Disclaimer: these links are to show examples of what I use, use your best judgment when picking products for YOUR dog